If your team is conceding a lot of goals each game, it is time to work on your defense at practice and to have some game day plans to reduce the number of goals your team is conceding.
The following link gives some basic defending tips.
Click Defending Tips
Here are a couple of videos for first defender and second defender work.
Click Defending Video
Click Second Defender Video
Suggestions for Game Day
1) Instead of having your best players playing forward (where they stand on the 1/2 way line NEVER getting the ball), have them play defense or midfield
2) Man mark the opponent's best player with your strongest/fastest player, especially if this one strong player is scoring all the goals.
3) Stress that when the other team has the ball EVERY PLAYER
is a defender
4) Make sure there are not huge gaps between each defender
5) Make sure there are not huge gaps between your defenders and your mids
6) Spread out when attacking but compact when defending
7) Closest player to the ball pressures. 2nd defender supports
8) If none of this works drop another forward back and play with an extra defender
Watch a professional soccer game on TV. Watch the defenders and see what they do.
After your game on Saturdays, stay and watch the next game. See how other coaches have their defenders play.
Ask another coach to help you at practice.
Watch the following clips on Defensive Strategy STRATEGY
to see how defenses should move.
12/22/16 7:58 AM